Butterfly in His Space Helmet - detail from cover Collier’s Magazine April 18, 1953.
Beach Girl, 1952 - Art by Raymond Pease.
Michelle Dockery looks exactly like a Gibson Girl.
O Christmas Tree…
10 Must-See Photographs from the 1940s
- A mother is photographed while hiding her face in shame after putting up a sign announcing that she is putting her own four children up for sale in Chicago, Illinois in 1948.
- A sign posted to remind soldiers to take Atabrine, an anti-malaria drug, while stationed in Papua, New Guinea during World War II.
- A young man sits and reads a book in the ruins of a London bookstore after the air strikes in 1940.
- A young woman sprays her arm with self-tanning spray from a suntan vending machine in 1949.
- Hitler’s officers and cadets smile for a photograph while they are seated for Christmas dinner in 1941.
- A sorrowful suicide — 23 year old Evelyn McHale is photographed after jumping from the 83rd floor of the Empire State Building and landing on a United Nations limousine in 1947.
- An Austrian boy displays glee after receiving a new pair of shoes during World War II.
- A thoughtful soldier in the trenches shares his banana with a goat during the battle on the island of Saipan in the Mariana Islands during World War II in 1944.
- A distraught little girl desperately clutches her doll while sitting in the ruins of her bombed home after the air strikes in London, England in 1940.
- An anti-comic book movement began in 1940 causing many.watchdog groups to promote the burning of comic books claiming that Batman and Robin promoted homosexuality and that children would become confused about the law of physics because of Superman’s ability to fly.
LITTLE RED-RIDING HOOD
AFTER THE ORIGINAL PAINTING BY LOUIS WAIN
Map of the Stars